I’m about to start the Indian Passport Renewal at U.S. Embassy in Washington, D.C. via CKGS. This blog post as a placeholder to share the experience, timeline and processing time (and lessons learned). Please read all the instructions before starting your application process at CKGS. There are a couple of places where things could go wrong. I have highlighted those steps with the word “Caution“.
Indian Passport Renewal Timeline and Process
- Sep 6, 2016: Started looking into CKGS website for details about Indian Passport renewal
- Sep 16, 2016: Sent documents via FedEx (Paid via CKGS)
- Sep 19, 2016: Package Delivered to CKGS in Washington DC
- Sep 22, 2016: Status Updated to Received
- Sep 29, 2016: Received New Passport
Before Starting Application Process
- Read the FAQ’s and other instructions (things could get confusing)
- Read the how to complete the sample application form (pdf)
- Things can go wrong in Step 6 and 7.
- Don’t go directly to the Government NRI Passport application page from your browser. Instead, use the link listed at Step 6.
- CKGS will link the CKGS Web Reference ID with Reference ID from Passport application from, if you go directly to the passport application page, they will not be linked. (Caution)
- If they are not linked, you may have trouble retrieving the application later.
- Expected Processing Time – 2 to 3 weeks for passport renewal.
- If you have any questions, call CKGS. They were helpful.
- If you are applying for Spouse, they would need address proof. It’s good to have a utility account in your spouse name.
- Passports Issued after 2007 is ECNR by default
What to Do:
- Start the Application Process at https://passport.in.ckgs.us
- Total of 7 Steps
- Make a note of Application Reference Number for CKGS that should end at 16C (Caution)
- Steps 1 to 5 and Step 7 are to be completed at CKGS site
- Step 6: Complete NRI Passport application form at Indian Government website (Caution)
- When you start the Online application, you will get a Temp Reference ID. Make a note of that. (Caution)
- Plan to complete the entire NRI Passport application in one go (shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes)
- New Web Reference ID will be given that should end in 16.
- Both Web Reference ID will be different, but in backend they will be linked.
- Print the NRI application and use a blue pen to complete the remaining section.
- Don’t sign the application (signature at 3 places). (Caution)
- Take it with you to the Notary and sign in front of them.
- Your Signature should fit within the box
- I opted for FedEx Shipping offered by CKGS for sending and returning
- Print only the shipping label to mail the document (not required to print the return shipping)
List of Documents and Checklist
- The checklist will be provided, print it and include it with the application
- Spouse Passport Copy
- Marriage Certificate Copy
- Address Proof
- Legal Status documents
- Two References Address (India or U.S.)
- Original Passport (all previous passports)
- I went to Wells Fargo for Notary Sign (at Passport application Form)
- True Copy signatures for supporting documents
- How to take passport size photos from home
- Ensure the Parents Name on the current passport matches the name you are entering in the new application. If they are different, hen send a copy of their passport page with notary sign (caution).
Let me know if you have any questions and please share your experience. I couldn’t find any recent experience online for Indian Passport Renewal for the past year. Hope this helps someone.